Monday, February 19, 2007

Kitchen Dorksasters vol. 1



It was my first grown-up having another couple over for dinner type evening. I had tons of fresh spinach, and decided to make a cream of spinach soup as the first course. The time to puree the hot spinach came, and it went flawlessly, but it was a little runny--I decided I'd use my mom's gravy trick, and thicken it up with a little flour. I knew that the best way to get the lumps out was to shake up a little of your hot stuff with the flour in a tupperware container.

Hmmm, shake shake shake.

fwomp!

The molten hot green puree, mixed with the self-rising flour, had exploded all over me and my formerly clean kitchen. It was one of those Lucy moments. You know the ones, where you take your glasses off and have two white spots in the green face, and just stare at the green dripping from the light fixture. sigh. We went out to mexican.

7 comments:

Jill said...

Reminds me of my dorky V-day story! I know I have more Kitchen Dorksasters, but I think I have erased them from memory. We are the borg... you will assimilate.

Jennfactor 10 said...

That's why you're here! We are Dork. We will discombobulate.

Anonymous said...

HA!
I really have a million of these which is why i dont cook much. It was only within the past few years that I learned how to open a package of cream cheese without covering myself, the wrapper and whatever i was cooking in squished cream cheese.My recent dorksaster in the kitchen involved a pecan pie that was beautiful to look at and completely crusted over. Until we cut it and it was pure liquid. Vive le dork!

Pippajo said...

Oh, crse, I once made a similar lemon meringue pie that looked beautiful: glossy, stiff, white peaks of meringue with just the right amount of browning on top, but was completely liquid underneath. It was for my dad's birthday and he laughed and called it hot lemon soup with meringue dumplings!

Well, now I'm remembering a lot...

Pippajo said...

Yes, I'm posting twice--DORK!

I just thought of my worst kitchen dorksaster, but I'm not sure what to do with it. Do I leave it here in the comments, post the story on my blog or email it to someone? What is the protocol, please?

Canada said...

Oooh, I have a few but my fave is one of Hubby's. We both volunteered at a group home for mentally challenged adults when we were in undergrad. He used to cook on Wed with one of the residents, and I was visiting another resident at the same time. When I went into the kitchen to say hi, he was very, very frustrated because the cheese sauce would not thicken, no matter how much flour he added (and he'd added a lot). I started laughing 'cause I saw the problem immediately - it wasn't flour. He was using icing sugar!

Mary said...

I finally posted mine, you can read it here